Bird Dog Chat brings you the Top 8 Bird Dog vests that help protect for all occasions and conditions.
The questions always arise for who recommends their top bird dog vests. Who has the best quality? Who has the best price?
These questions can be answered with highly opinionated responses. Responses range from many who actually use the products from those who represent and/or sell them. To weed out the bias and unbiased responses that can make your inquiry more difficult, use these no-pressure selections below.
We’ll lead off with the very brand I personally use and have been happy with for about 8 years now. It’s still going strong. It has seen miles of abuse, through cattails and CRP. Everything is still holding together nicely!
- Two layers of water-resistant 1000 denier Cordura nylon
- Adjustable strap system made of rugged nylon webbing with quick-release buckles
- slide adjusters and steel center ring to ensure the Skid Plate stays on while providing the best possible fit
The Skid Plate protects your dog’s chest, stomach, and side areas that are hardest hit when in the field! The Skid Plate is a commercial-grade chest protector that can help prevent injuries to your best friend and costly visits to the veterinarian. Recommended by veterinarians to protect post-surgical wounds. Designed with the dog in mind, the Skid Plate offers high visibility and total mobility with an open back to avoid overheating
- Keeps your dog protected from punishing field conditions
- 4mm neoprene delivers warmth
- Can be trimmed for a custom fit
Make sure your hard-working dog is protected from the punishing conditions in the field with Herter’s Dog Vest. 4mm neoprene construction delivers warmth to keep your dog performing at his best. The vest can be trimmed for a comfortable, custom fit. Imported.
Sizes: S/M, L/XL, 2XL/3XL.
Camo pattern: TrueTimber® DRT.
- Protects your hunting dog in the field
- Armor-flex material in the neck, chest and belly areas
- Extra bartacks allow you to cut for a custom fit
- Extra-wide closure for more adjustment
Faithful retriever hunts just as hard as you do, we re-engineered our 5mm Neoprene Dog Vest with an Armor-Flex Chest Protector to provide a custom fit and added durability. The seams have been enhanced with extra bartacks to allow custom cuts, plus the Velcro® closure has been widened for increased adjustment in fit. The 5mm neoprene construction will stand up to in-the-field hazards and aids in buoyancy for your dog. Adjustable and warm, our Deluxe Neoprene Vest with Armor-Flex Chest Protector boasts added protection running the entire length of the neck, chest, and belly. Crafted of the same Armor-Flex material used to reinforce high-wear areas in hunting waders, the chest plate will shield your dog’s soft underside from snags, corn stubble, and other hazards. The chest plate is camouflaged in the same pattern as the vest for added concealment. Chest protector on Blaze Orange Vest is black.
Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. Not all of them fall perfectly within the guidelines of our sizing chart. When ordering, choose the size that coincides with the largest sizing bracket reached by any one of your dog’s three measurements. Imported.
- Helps protect your hunting partner in the field and water
- Thick 5mm construction traps extra warmth
- Abrasion-resistant belly adds scratch protection
- Supplemental flotation pads keep your dog afloat
- Easy-lift handles help you give your buddy a boost
Because we know your faithful retriever hunts just as hard as you do, we built our Northern Flight Dog Vest out of protective 5mm neoprene and added an abrasion-resistant belly to provide extra durability and warmth. When your partner hits the water, two built-in flotation pads provide additional buoyancy for long-distance retrieves. We’ve even added easy-lift handles onto the vest in case your dog needs a little help getting back into the boat blind. Custom-fit design lets you trim vest to the perfect size. Imported.
Sizes: S/M, L/XL, 2XL/3XL.
Camo pattern: TrueTimber® DRT.
Note: Dogs come in all shapes and sizes. Not all of them fall perfectly within the guidelines of our sizing chart. When ordering, choose the size that coincides with the largest sizing bracket reached by any one of your dog’s two measurements. Be sure to measure around your dog’s neck and chest. For an accurate neck measurement, measure on the lower part of your dog’s neck (rather than higher, where you would measure for a collar). The measurement should be slightly above the shoulder. For accurate chest measurement, take the measurement from the deepest part of your dog’s chest while it is standing.
The vest includes a zipper and hook-and-loop closures. You will fit the vest on your dog with the hook-and-loop closure the first time. Remove the vest using the zipper and trim the excess fabric off the closure. Use the zipper to put on and take off every time following the fitting/adjustments.
We’re halfway through the Top 8 Bird Dog vests, here are the rest!
- Warm, protective 3.5mm neoprene
- Trimmable for a custom fit that won’t rub or bind
- Reinforced protective chest strips
- Built-in assist handles make lifting your pup easy
- Full-length 2″-wide Velcro closure for a secure fit
Keep your faithful retriever warm and protected in a Neoprene Dog Vest from Drake Waterfowl. Neck, leg and back openings can be trimmed to provide a perfect fit that won’t rub or bind. 3.5mm neoprene provides warmth, flotation, and protection from branches and other sharp objects. Reinforced chest-protector strips hold up to thick brush and ice. Built-in assist handles make it easy to lift your pup into a boat, truck bed or other elevated location. 2″-wide Velcro® closure for a secure, adjustable fit. Heavy-duty seam stitching stands up to hard use.
Camo patterns: Mossy Oak® Shadow Branch®, Mossy Oak® Shadow Grass®, Realtree MAX-5®.
- Stretching, protective and durable neoprene construction
- Lightweight, comfortable and highly breathable
- Easy hook-and-loop attachments secure it in place
Put your hunting dog to work with the bramble-busting protection of Hard Core’s ultra-comfortable Field Dog Neo-Vest. Stretching, protective and durable neoprene construction is lightweight and highly breathable. Easy hook-and-loop attachments secure it in place. Imported.
Camo pattern: Realtree MAX-5®.
- A hunting dog’s best friend
- 1,000 dernier Cordura breastplate
- Protects dog from briars, burrs, fencing, thorns
- No buckles, snaps, or clasps
A hunting dog’s (or any dog in the outdoors) best friend. Double-layered 1000 Denier breastplate and 1000 Denier coverage around the dog’s body protects the dog from briars, burrs, fencing, thorns, or barbed wire. Breathable. No buckles, snaps, or clasps. Secured with 2″ hook and 4-6″ loop depending on the size. A dog with a longer coat might need a larger size than their weight to fit properly. Can be worn tight or loose depending on the needs of the environment. The neck is designed to fit loosely around the dog allowing for scenting and retrieving with ease. Cordura. Washable. Made in the USA.
Whether you own a waterfowling dog or just take your best friend out in the cold, this neoprene dog vest will keep them warm and ready for action.
- Made from 9 mm Spandura neoprene.
- Full-length zipper with neoprene cover.
- Built-in handles so you can easily hoist your dog up into the duck blind.
- D-ring leash attachment.
- Bottomland Camo will help keep your dog hidden.