Bird Dog Chat brings you the Top Upland Strap Vests on the market today. Each of these brands and their functionality are ideal for upland hunters in mind.
Full disclosure, We have not tried every single vest and this is completely unbias and not paid to promote any of these top upland strap vests. Click the Vest name or the Image to go right to the online store for more information.
Kicking things off with one of the most popular brands out there…
Browning® Men’s Pheasants Forever® Strap Vest
- Ideal for warm-weather wear
- Mesh-back game bag with blood proof lining
- Shell pockets with Pocket Expander System
Ideal for warm-weather wear, Browning’s Men’s Pheasants Forever Strap Vest keeps you cool under its minimalist design. Mesh-back game bag with blood proof lining stores your limit of birds. Shell pockets feature Pocket Expander System for easy conversion to exposed shell loops. Dial-in a custom fit using the adjustable, elasticized shoulder straps; adjustable side straps; and adjustable front belt with speed buckle. One size fits most. Imported.
Cabela’s Men’s Upland Pro Strap Vest
- Plenty of pockets for gear
- Spacious game bag with blood proof lining
- Water-resistant, durable polyester ripstop
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps
Carry hunting essentials into the field and your harvest out of the field at the end of the day with our Men’s Upland Pro Strap Vest. Zippered pocket with elastic shell loops, cargo pocket with full bellows, a game bag with blood proof lining, water-bottle pocket inside the game bag and stretch cording provide plenty of storage options. Water-resistant 100% polyester ripstop sheds water and stands up to the rigors of the field, ensuring seasons of use. Breathable mesh shoulder straps provide a comfortable carry. Adjustable straps for a custom fit. Imported.
Sizes: M/L, XL/2XL.
It may not fit the mold of a conventional bird vest, but Tenzing’s BV16 sure does fit the hunter. This vest-pack crossover provides improved comfort and mobility for hunters of every size and shape. Innovative pockets and features make this award-winning pack an essential bird hunting accessory.
- 14 shotshell loops
- Two load-lifter straps keep weight tight and elevated
- H2O compatible
- Robic™ rip-stop fabric adds durability in high-stress areas
- Available in M/L and XL/XXL
We’ve made our bestselling strap vest even better with improved breathability, lighter design and increased range of motion.
Size & Fit
- M/L & XL/XXL
Why We Love It
It’s one of the top upland strap vests around—plain and simple. Already an essential piece of apparel, we improved our design to ensure its a must-have for any hunter or outdoorsman. We replaced the mesh backing with a single-swivel buckle to shed weight while improving range of motion while carrying a firearm. Pivoting straps adjust for comfort and provide freedom to move as you need. Well-placed pockets and zippered storage compartments hold all your day’s gear!
Fabric & Care
- Rugged waxed canvas.
- Spot clean.
- Single swivel buckle back.
- The perforated foam waist belt and shoulder harness.
- Wide, zippered game pocket for easy cleaning.
- Roomy bellows pocket.
- Large front pocket.
- Vest adjusts to fit over a shirt or light jacket.
Our most versatile all-season upland hunting vest features heavy-duty waxed cotton pockets for longer life in the field. Orvis-exclusive Easy Entry® closures at front pockets give you quick, one-finger open and close and can stay open for quick access to shells. Handy spaces for water bottles in the game pouch and small storage zippered pocket on the back hold all the gear you’ll need for the day. Four-way adjustable sternum strap ensures the vest wears comfortably over whatever layering the weather conditions demand, from our Featherweight Shirt to our Toughshell Jacket. Shoulder straps and belt made of heavy-duty nylon webbing. Cotton, nylon webbing and mesh. 258 sq. in. of blaze on olive/blaze style. Spot clean. Imported.
Sizes M/L(chest sizes 40-44), XL/XXL(chest sizes 46-52).
- Our most versatile all-season upland hunting vest
- Perfect for varied climates and changing weather as it wears well over any layering options
- New, heavier waxed cotton for durability and longevity
- Orvis-exclusive Easy Entry closures on large front pockets for fast one-finger open and close
- Accessory flap-close pockets on top of Easy Entry pockets
- A large rear game bag designed to hold three birds
- Sternum strap adjusts horizontally and vertically for a perfect fit
- Rugged, waxed cotton sheds water and dirt
Lighter and more breathable, this Upland Vest Pack combines traditional vest functionality with the load-bearing comfort and capacity of a technical backpack while keeping gun mount area clear for unrestricted shooting.
Size & Fit
- Regular: Minimum waist measurement with clothes on is 34″. Maximum 65″.
- Long: Minimum waist measurement with clothes on is 36″. Maximum 68″.
Fabric & Care
- Spot clean.
- Shell: 100% 600-denier polyester canvas.
- Reinforced molded back panel and contoured shoulder straps are covered with ventilating Air Mesh.
- Fully adjustable fit keeps pack close to the body, which eliminates shifting while on the move.
- Rugged, rip-resistant polyester fabric backed with polyurethane to keep out moisture.
- Waistbelt has two top-load pockets – each holding a box of shells.
- Top-load pockets have molded flaps that flip back into place for easy one-handed access.
- Bloodproof rear-loading game pocket zips open and lies flat for easy cleaning.
- Back section has two side-mounted water bottle carriers, zip mesh pocket.
- And oversized zip pocket for extra gear and supplies.
- Includes two detachable pouches designed to hold dog electronics, cell phone and GPS.
- Hydration compatible; bladder sold separately.
Inspired by and designed for professional guides, our Pro Series vest is the perfect solution for any hunter who needs to carry a lot of gear and game. Storage space is unrivaled with ample capacity for several roosters and plenty of water for you and your dogs. Features a hidden water bladder pocket, extra wide back panel for better support, a four-way sternum strap for a perfect fit, and hip pockets placed out of the way, yet easily accessible. Additional secure pockets for wallets, license, keys and other valuables, one located on the outside of the shell pouch, and one on the back. Straps on the bottom for storing unneeded layers. One size fits most. Nylon. 220 sq. in. of blaze orange. Wipe clean. Imported.
- The ultimate vest for all-day hunts when more gear is needed
- Superior support and large carrying capacity
- Super-durable fabric
- A backpack-style support system to help carry the load
- Strap design won’t inhibit shooting
- The large game bag accommodates more birds for multiple clients
- Ventilated back panel keeps you cool
- Water bottle holders and secure water bladder pocket
- Secure zippered pocket on the outside of shell bag for valuables
- Precision waist belt fit and pocket locations for a wide range of body shapes
This rounds off the 7 Top Upland Strap Vests we would recommend for covering all our upland hunting variables. Some other notable mentions would be Wingworks, Badlands, and Q5 Vests.
In most cases, selecting the upland strap vest comes down to price and comfort and making sure it has pockets, pouches, shell holders and even hydration pack suited for you. Hope this helps narrow down your search of the top upland strap vests we would recommend for you!
Want access to more great upland hunting and bird dog topics? Subscribe below!